|Tropical Fruit Trifle|
This Tropical Fruit Trifle is delicious. Easy to make and so tasty. Great for summer.
¼ cup castor sugar
Coconut Custard Cream
· Mix sugar, flour and cornflour in a small bowl. Add in egg and whisk until smooth.
· Heat milk to a simmer over high heat. Pour half of the milk into the egg mix and whisk. Now add the egg mix into the pot while whisking. This is called tempering.
· Change to a spatula and bring the mix to a boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly. This will cook out the floury taste and texture of the starch.
· Remove from heat. Add in butter and vanilla. Mix carefully and pass through a sieve. Place a piece of plastic on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool slightly.
· Bring sugar, water and glucose to a boil in a small pot. Add mango skin and vanilla pod and simmer for 15- 20 minutes. Strain and cool.
· Combine fruit in a bowl and drizzle with mango syrup
Assembly of the Trifle:
· Whip 1 cup of pure cream to soft peaks.
· Cut sponge into 3 layers. Place one layer of sponge in the base of a glass bowl. Brush generously with mango syrup. Spoon ½ of the fruit onto sponge and ½ the coconut custard on top.
· Place the second layer of sponge on top and brush with syrup. Spoon the remaining fruit on top and cover with the rest of the custard.
· Place last layer of sponge on top and soak with remaining syrup and cover with whipped cream. Place fruit in centre of cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
v Trifle is also nice with rum added to the mango syrup to brush on to the cake.
v Passion fruit is also a good addition to the fruit salad.
Recipe Courtesy Of Urban Graze Cooking School